Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

BREAD HALWA (Bread Pudding)!!!!!!

'Halwa' the very word is mouth watering. But during childhood the only halwa I knew was that of Mangalore. The Mangaluru Halwa. The hard varieties. Flavors like banana halwa, Bombay halwa, godhi halwa with nutty garnishing, were the only pictures of halwa I had tasted.

But after my acquaintance with Kuku (now my hubby), I learnt that even the "Ksheera" what we called, at Mangalore, popularly known as "Kesaribath" at Bangalore, was also called as sooji halwa. And many more puddings prepared similarly were called as the "respective ingredient halwa", such as the Gaajar ka Halwa ( Carrot Halwa), Lauki ka Halwa (Bottle Gourd Halwa), Moong Dal Halwa (Split Green gram dal Halwa), etc.,etc.,. That sure gives a picture of Halwa Mela!

Bread Pudding


One such Halwa is the Bread Halwa. I still remember, the restaurant at ITPL, "SINDBAD". This was when I worked for AOL, Pvt. India Ltd., we had our team lunch at this restaurant. I simply loved the Moong Dal Halwa that they served for the buffet lunch. I always looked forward for those team lunches, just to devour this halwa. They served it with ice cream. One day I decided that me & my hubby would have our lunch together at this place. And the day we had our lunch, the restaurant served bread halwa with ice cream. Both of us relished this dessert to the core. Some days later, I even took away a parcel of this halwa home, & devoured it. DIVINE!!!

Bread Pudding


And this was one preparation that we never forgot & never will. Whenever we had a craving for a sweet dessert, we just reminisced this halwa. That was when we decided that it was high time we tried it at home. We did & voila!!!!! It was a hit at home. For almost all special occasions, I landed up preparing this halwa. Even otherwise I would prepare it & even take a take away for my mom when I visited her. She sincerely devours it. She would serve a small bowl for everyone at home & then, you would never see it back. It would go underground. Then my mom would relish it alone, every now & then, till the last bit. :-)))

Bread Pudding


My brother (Amrith), got married recently. Now my mom has her newly wedded daughter in-law (Jyothi) with her. Last week it was her first birthday at her in-laws after wedding. I had prepared bread halwa, as a part of the sumptuous birthday lunch. After the lunch I left to my place & rest of the guests went home too. My mom still had 3/4 of the halwa with her. As she went in & out of the kitchen, she kept nibbling at the halwa. She also found that Jyothi did that too. Next moment she hid the halwa container. None of them could have more of it. Next morning they found out that the halwa was consumed completely by mom "THE HALWA CHORNI". My new sister in-law, asked me to prepare it again so that she could devour her share to the core.

Laugh Out Loud!!!!!! ऐसे ऐसे तो हलवा के किस्से हैं हमारे घर में. (Aise Aise Tho Halwa Ke Kisse Hain Hamare Ghar Mein)

Ingredients:

Bread Loaf - 1
Milk - 1/2 liter
Cashew nuts - 100 gm
Raisins - 25 gm
Sugar - 150 gm (1 cup)
Ghee - 100 gm

Method:

Tear the bread loaf into quarter a slice.

Bread Pudding


Boil the milk.



Now heat ghee in a wok.

Then add the crumbled bread & stir fry. Once the bread crumbs soak the entire amount of ghee & turns golden brown in color, add the cashews & raisins & stir fry.

P.S. you can also fry the cashews & raisins separately & then add it to the bread crumbs.

Once the cashews & raisins turn golden brown, add the boiled milk. Keep stirring as the milk would start throwing out. Mix well & keep stirring for 2 minutes even after the milk has been absorbed completely.

Once the bread looks dry, add the sugar & stir it well for at least a minute. And turn of the flame. Once the sugar has been absorbed, you are ready to relish the yum Bread Halwa.

Bread Pudding


P.S. It would taste best when it is relished hot.

Bread Pudding


Once you have prepared this do not forget to lemme know ;)

I have kinda re-posted this very old post from my archival..... But just updating better pics, of course.....

Sending this as my entry to Nivedita's CELEBRATE SWEETS~HALWA event..... Thanks to Jagruti for letting me know of this celebration.... It feels great to celebrate INDIA.... in all respects..... & Food is an integral part of the Colors Of India..... :)

Celebrate Halwa

Ha! That reminds me of the theme for June ATCs which was Ethnic India..... & Here are my creations portraying the ethnicity...... Do take a peek :-) @ HASTKALA!!!!!

That is it for now..... Will be back soon again.....

UNTIL NEXT, KEEP THE FAITH!!!!

82 comments:

  1. Ashkuku, I loved your stories, specially the "chorni" one.... lol

    I have bookmarked and surely making this. I have never tried bread halwa before :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread halwa looks rich and delicious dear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never had this halwa but looks so delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ..yummy halwa...so new for me and so tempted to try...wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you had a wonderful time on your sil's birthday. Halwa looks super delicious Asha.
    Cheers, RV

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey
    How can this not be a wonderful treat. No wonder everybody liked it. That looks yummy dear....

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh looks so yummy dear.. will try today evening..and let u know tomorrow... u have tempted me with those lovely clicks of urs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been checking your site during the weekend and I'm so happy finally you post new recipe :)
    This halwa looks so delcious and it sounds quick and easy. I think I will make this for my baby soon.
    Tes,
    http://tesathome.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never tried Bread Halwa before, the final product looks quite like mung halwa...but definitely will taste different.
    Will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. never had this halwa but it looks sooooo yummy ! first time to your beautiful page.. loved your collection.. do drop in at my space sometime .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Halwa looks delicious and mouthwatering. Nice step by step pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm..you know what I had a sudden craving for some sweet and I whipped up this bread halwa and had just now..Now I saw ur post..wat a coincidence!!!
    Even we use to go for team lunches at sindbad when I was working..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Coming here after a long time and this halwa looks yummy.........halwa ki kahani was hilarious...

    brea n butter pudding is a favorite but i never tried a halwa with bread , though i make all types of traditional halwa ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. totally agree with relishing the bread halwa hot/ warm..there is nothing like that warm ghee melting in your mouth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the lovely wishes ash didi.How are you? I was on a break..Halwa looks delicious..Bread and halwa only u cud make it ;)

    http://ruchikacooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Asha..tis sheera is just awesome. As de saying goes looks can be deceptive...first look at de pic n I thought sooji halwa but then when I read de recipe it mentioned bread...cudn't beleive.
    Bookmarking ur recipe n wud gladly become a sheera chor anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sinful indulgence. I love love this halwa. I too prepare it almost the same way. But, these days I have limited preparing them because of the concerns we already know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We all love this very much. Nice to see it here and what a tempting bowl of halwa :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW Ash !!!. Mazaa aa gaya..I'm craving for this bread halwa right now..Looks irresistible..Enjoyed all ur kisse kahaniyan..Can't blame ur mom for being the Halwa Chorni.. This Halwa can turn anyone into a chorni..LOL..CONGRATULATIONS on ur brother's wedding.. MY older one was enjoying these clicks too..and asked me to make this halwa..I'm sending him to you..his Ash auntie..

    ReplyDelete
  20. HI dear, how have u been, i'm dropping after a long time.....gonna check your cards too....tasty halwa, looks like now onwards u got to make double pack of halwa whenever u go to your mom so that sas bahu can each peacefully have their share, congrats for your bro's wedding....btw is this post posted twice or it's my computer showing me previous post also as same as this(bread halwa/pudding)....

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi asha,

    ur bread halwa looks divine .... i have never prepared this halwa before nor tasted it but i bet it tastes as good as it looks... first time to ur blog, it is very beautifull with a artistic touch to every part of it...

    if u get time do visit my blog

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi dear, delicious recipe! In my blog, award for you! Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely step by step presentation.. the halwa looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks almost like apple crunch, something I like to eat with icecream too. This sounds and looks scrumptious! Your Kuku and family are most lucky to have such a great cook for them all. I'd be nibbling it too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum!! That looks so good! Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog. Hugs back to you!

    -Sarah:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear,
    Please collect an award from my blog

    ReplyDelete
  27. woww..its so innovative...never thought of halwa with bread..superb shots.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Asha,hope u r doing fine :) I was away from active blogging,sorry friends that I missed out many of your recipes. Trying to get hold of everything very soon. Oh, YUM!love puddings and your dish looks amazingly delicious! The recipe also sounds simple.

    ReplyDelete
  29. First time here...loved your recipes!! this halwa looks yummy and tasty..making me to try out now!!!do visit my blog when time permits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How did I miss this post?Bread halwa looks wonderfully tasty and delicious.Will book mark nad try.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey asha...

    First time here...have got great collections here...yummy halwa shal try soon :) Do visit my blog sometime !!

    Lavanya

    www.lavsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey Asha,
    Its been long time,hope you are doing fine..Halwa is looks very delicious,my mouth is watering right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. loved the story and the halwa... looks super easy to prep... will try out and let you know...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hai Asha ji,
    Wow thank you for posting this recipe .I have never heard or tasted this halwa,sounds so easy and yummy.Looks absolutely delicious,I can feel the taste from the screen.Will bookmark this for my future .

    ReplyDelete
  35. yummy bread halwa.. hav bookmarked the recipe.. first time here and u've a nice collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Bread halwa is lovely, nicely made and presented looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ash, I love bread halwa :) and yours looks sinfully delicious!! :)..
    you have posted the same twice, I guess..:)..again a double treat for my eyes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. My all time favourtie........looks droolworthy.....it's been long since i visited this space...how r u?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Asha, this sounds yumm......Loved the step by step pics. Thanks for posting those. I will for user give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ha...ha..ha ...LOL! The story beyond this yummy halwa is very sweet. You know what dear, my home town is famous for halwa (wheat halwa)...its called Tirunelveli halwa and wish you should get it in your place. I am sure we all go crazy for this halwas:) The intro itself made me drool:)Lovely pictures and recipe seems easy too. Till date I have never tasted this bread halwa. Thanks for the recipe, I will turn that poor bread waiting in my fridge in to a halwa soon:) Have a beautiful week ahead dear.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is my fav.Awesome click! Looks so tempting....

    ReplyDelete
  42. Looks so delicious and lovely clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Looks delicious. I make this often, and find that it's a really versatile recipe that you can change by adding whatever flavors you're in the mood for (chocolate, fruit, etc.) My kids won't eat raisins so I usually add bits of banana. Thanks for sharing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow! This bread halwa recipe sounds cool! Will try it out and let you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Looks delicious and sounds interesting and unique

    ReplyDelete
  46. This bread halwa sure looks very tempting! Never thought of any halwa associated with bread,I'll try it tomorrow for Rakshabandhan.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Kya haal hai Asha..sab kuch thik? Lovely bread halwa..tempting !

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Asha,

    Looks amazing and divine...awesome clicks...

    Dr.Sameena@

    www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. I've never come across bread halwa before but your description of it makes me want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  50. First time here and loved both your blogs !! Now I'm a happy follower of your blog. DO visit mine when you find time.

    http://www.frommyhomekitchen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  51. hey asha...how u doing?? wer r u these days??

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi Asha...long time .
    How have you been?

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh Ash this surely looks and sounds Divine...Now I know y ur mom hid this Halwa:))

    Awesome recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  54. salut ma chère
    j'ai aimé ta version ta halwa a l'air succulente
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  55. looks like we helvasına Turks. the hands of health

    ReplyDelete
  56. thanks madam
    i have told my wife to prepare this dish in this week. :-)

    visit my blogs too:
    www.badari-poems.blogspot.com
    www.badari-notes.blogspot.com
    facebook.com/Badarinath.Palavalli

    ReplyDelete
  57. very yummy halwa using bread.....do drop by my blog when you get time...

    cheers

    roshan

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hi Asha dear ,Hope ur doing great ..
    After a long time iam checking ur blog kind of busy with india trip ...
    again a yuy dish from u asha
    could u pls pass on the plate to me

    ReplyDelete
  59. bread halwa looks delicious n never made this way. new 2 ur blog. lots of lovely recipes in ur blog. pls visit my blog when time gets

    ReplyDelete
  60. That is an interesting halwa...like a stove-top bread pudding :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. wow....yummy...first time here...bread halwa...i thnk i've to make ths today itself...will let u kno soon....delicious..& mouthwatering...

    http://hasnasdelights.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  62. A very Happy new year to you n ur family , loved going thru ur wonderful blog !!!

    - Smita
    www.littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com
    (fun foods for little eaters

    ReplyDelete
  63. This is my dad's fav. Urs looks absolutely delish! Nice recipe.... YUM!

    Happy New year!!!!...

    ReplyDelete
  64. Yumm :) I am so going to try this.

    Happy New Year !!!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Asha, How are you dear? Happy new year to you and family. I wish to tag you. So pls visit my space and answer the questions. Thanks.
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  66. First time here......wow! wow! what a wonderful space u have here....Halwa is looking Yummmmmmmmm!Happy to follow u.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Asha,
    how are you dear? It's been a long time since you have posted anything. What are your plans for Valentine Day? :-)

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  68. Hi Asha,
    Was delighted to you see commenting on my page. How are you dear? I visited your other blog HAstkala but the comment section was disabled :-(

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  69. After a long time... i am here....halwa looks delectable.... nice to read about halwa thief....so sweet....

    ReplyDelete
  70. Hey Asha....first time here....very nice recipe...
    Glad to follow you :)

    Ankita
    http://eat-hearty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  71. Looks so delicious!!! And very well explained too..I have come across bread halwa many times but none of the recipes were perfect & tempting enough to try out..This is perfect!! And u have a lovely space too & glad to be ur follower :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  72. I would like to invite you to our "Quick and easy recipe mela" and enter your recipe. We would be glad to see your participation. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Hi Ash...
    I just tried the halwa... but i tried it in Owen.. the result is just great... i prepared so fast so that my dad can taste it... as he is keeping fasting...( due to ramzan ). my dad really liked it very much...And seems you love KUKU very much... hope you have a great future ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  74. Lovely bread halwa, always have heard it never tried it..this inspires me a lot.

    Cheers
    Muskaan

    ReplyDelete
  75. simply delicious d awesome...plz do follow my blog...am a nw bud in this field..vry much xcited to see u a all..thank u..

    ReplyDelete
  76. first time in your space...wow.this bread halwa looks just wonderful..i too hav a space on various fish recipe ...do visit when time permits...glad to follow u here :-)

    http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  77. Ash - you own a cooking blog too. that lovely. Happy to follow you

    loved the bread halwa recipe

    shylaashree

    ReplyDelete
  78. Hey Asha
    Happened to stop by, have a pack of bread which is about to expire. This recipe will defo come handy...cheers xx

    ReplyDelete
  79. asha, your bread halwa is delicious beautiful very colourful so pretty. your gallery is lovely .graphics are very nice . your website it so pretty. best of luck . do come visit me some time. . WE.HOBBIESANDCRAFTS.NET. ( thank you.very much do look around the website you may find some thing that can help you out or help some one you know with something... love a beautiful thing. do send your friends.

    ReplyDelete

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin