Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

BEETROOT SABZI (Beetroot Pallya)

Beetroot is one of my favourite vegetables. Though my list of favourites among veggies is very very small, I like the beet a lot. I still remember, when small, Mom prepared beetroot pallya & I relished it in the form of beetroot icecream, with curds insted of the real "icecream". I just mixed the beet pallya with curds, the color would turn dark pink & I would relish it saying "I had prepared beetroot salad with ice cream". But it is still yummy. We now prepare beet raitha or pachdi to that respect.

As it is a natural colouring agent, its used in industries to add a color to the jellies, jams, sauces, ice creams, etc., etc., When small I loved to touch it because after I touched it with my hands, my palm would be colored as if I applied ALTA (red flower based dye) on my hands & felt like a bride.

At this thought, I have to thank heavens for fulfilling this dream of mine. After my wedding to Kuku (my hubby) who is a Bihari, I had to dip my feet in a thali containing this ALTA & had to leave red footprints on the floor, which is a sign of accepting Goddess of prosperity into the house & not only accepting, but a belief that the goddess would stay there, here onwards. I loved it. THANK YOU GOD for all your blessings on me. I just pray to you, to help me retain all that I have. Hmmmmmmm..................

So there goes a beetroot preparation.




BEETROOT SABZI (Beetroot Pallya)

Ingredients:

Beetroot - 1 medium sized, grated
Onion - 1 medium sized, chopped
Green Chilli - 2 chopped
Split Green Gram Dal - 1 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
Salt - As per Taste
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Coriander Leaves - 1 tbsp, finely Chopped



Method:

Soak the split green gram dal (Moong Dal) in water for half an hour. Place a pan on low fire & heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds & allow them to splutter. Now add Cumin seeds (Jeera) & let them crackle. Add asafoetida (Heeng). Now add green chillies & saute for a second or two. Then add curry leaves & saute. Once done add chopped onion. Now add a pinch of salt. Saute the onions for a min & add turmeric powder. Now add split moong dal which was soaked in water previously. Saute for a minute & add grated beetroot. Now cover the lid & let the beetroot cook in its own juice, but you can add a little water which is optional. Keep stirring in between & let it cook for 10 minutes. Now remove the lid to see the beet well cooked as well as the moong dal. The moisture has evaporated. Now add cumin & coriander powder & mix well. Now add a pinch of garam masala powder & mix well. Finally add chopped coriander leaves & mix well. Your Beetroot sabzi is ready. Serve it hot for chapatis or plain rice & dal.



PS: Just like a well cooked Pulao shows the rice grains separately, similarly a well cooked beetroot shows off its grated beet separately, not being mushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin