Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

MEAT RASSA (Mutton Gravy, Mutton Saaru)

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I got to taste this prep at my in-laws..... So this is my 'Delicacy in-law'. And when it is well cooked with the meat pieces very soft & juicy, is very divine...... in taste...... My folks love it a lot....My brother takes 2-3 servings for lunch.....& loves it with rotis too.....


Meat Rassa


But as the fat is on a higher & primary side, we all tend to avoid it.... but failing at the hands of our taste buds, sometimes, pleading for a morsel, & craving for more later..... Many a times when I have prepared it & my mom calls up to find out what have I prepared for lunch.... I would lie.... giving her a wrong menu for the day...... Kuku, tells her about it, when we visit her sometimes later & I get caught.....Ooops!!!!! ;-) Then I would hear her again saying "cholesterol & high in fat...please do not indulge more...." I know but how do I let my taste buds know it..... They are
so mean on me....many a times..... ;-)

A year earlier, when I started visiting my doctor, who specializes in homeopathic meds, she used to ask me about my non veg intake too..... I did not lie but not always revealed the truth completely..... She kept a check then.....& I checked my weight more often.... but now..... Not that I indulge myself in non veg regularly, but she stopped asking me about it..... may be she thought it was a waste of time & energy asking 'me' about it..... But I must tell you this....

She (My Doc) now reads my posts too.... & as the secret reveals
"She Knows What I Ate Last Supper"
or what I ate when !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-) I am happy she does & sometimes scared too.....

!!!!!!One is always scared when they are at wrong.....!!!!!

Anyway, anything within a limit...is always good.... Too Much Is Too Bad........
As they say " If taken too much, even the so called 'Immortal Nectar' turns 'poisonous'"......

Hmmm!!! With all the non veg talk, now done...lets get down to note the recipe of this prep.......


Meat Rassa (
Meat रस्सा)

Ingredients:

Mutton - 1kg (cleaned & washed)
Tomato - 5 medium (finely chopped)
Onions - 6 big (finely sliced)
Ginger Garlic Paste - 4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
Kitchen King Masala - 2 tsp
Salt to Taste
Curd - 3 tbsp
Mustard Oil - 6 tbsp
Water - 4 cups
Coriander Leaves - 4 twigs (finely chopped)

WHOLE SPICES

Dry Red Chilli - 6, broken
Cinnamon - 5 pieces
Cloves - 4 pieces
Cardamom - 1 piece
Bay Leaf - 2 to 3 pieces

Method:

Marinate the cleaned & washed mutton pieces with a tsp each of turmeric powder & salt. Keep it aside for 20 minutes. Beat the curd well & keep it aside too.

Meat Rassa

Now heat oil in a pressure pan or cooker. Add the whole spices one by one..... Once they are sauteed on low flame, add the sliced onions & fry till translucent. Then add the chopped tomatoes & stir fry till they combine well. Add ginger garlic paste & fry further for 2 minutes.

Meat Rassa

Then add all the masala powders mentioned & stir fry to blend them all well. Now add the beaten curd & stir fry till the masala throws the oil out.

Meat Rassa

PS: This step makes sure that the masala is well combined & cooked well.

Add the mutton pieces & stir fry for 35 minutes. Keeping stirring carefully so that the masala does not stick to the pan & the pieces do not get shredded. When the oil tends to leave the masala mixture, add water, depending on how well you require your meat to be cooked.....

WELL I LOVE MEAT WELL COOKED (which just melts in my mouth leaving its juice behind for me to relish on)!!!!!!!!

Now cover it with the lid & allow it to whistle for 6 whistles...... When all the steam gets released, uncover & mix the gravy slightly, avoiding the pieces from breaking up......Transfer into a serving bowl.

Garnish with the chopped coriander leaves & serve it hot with either plain rice or a well prepared flavoured rice & some salad too.....

Meat Rassa

Salad

Salad

And accompanies the roti, parata & almost all kinda bread... too for dinner..... :-)

Meat Rassa

This prep is on its way to the EFM - Mutton Series........ conducted by SrishKitchen.....
"DO find Your place there my Meat Rassa ;-)

Mutton Pulao


BLOGFARES:


And with the year coming to an end, there are few blogfares, that need to be flaunted here.... with a tag of THANKS!!! of course.........

I thank Sailaja for passing on the hearty flowers

Hearty Flowers

and Dolly, Vineeta & Sangeeta for sharing their CHEERS!!!!!!

Cheer Readers


Thanks

Cho.........Chweeeeeeeeeeet that baby girl is............... I wish she was mine...... :-( Anyways....

HAPPY CELEBRATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Photobucket

CHEERS TO ONE & ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

UNTIL NEXT...... KEEP THE FAITH!!!!!!!!!!



33 comments:

  1. asha i just happened to stumble upon your blog i loved the mutton curry recipe..u made it look incredibly simple.the pics are so refreshing as well..i have started my own blog as well not as colorful as yours though..it would be very encouraging if you visited mine..thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is irresistible, mutton is and you have been on a roll with all those mutton recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (ur recipes r really super & mouthwatering 1 keep going)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice recipe again,will surely try this out with chicken as it looks very delicious and worth trying..and merry xmas & a very happy new year to you and your family ash..enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. j'aime bien cuisiner avec de la viande d'agneau c'est tellement bon ton plat est bien épicé j'adore ça
    joyeux noël et à bientôt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy recipe..Looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing u & UR Merry X'Mas and Happy New Year Mouthwatering mutton curry..delicious and tempting asha...surely will give a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very tasty & colourful.....This will go very well with any dish.Congrats for ur Awards.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. French to English translation

    For the delight of gourmets said:

    I like to cook with the lamb is so good your dish is spicy love it
    Merry Christmas and see you soon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well that is certainly a mouthwatering side dish. But I agree with your mom that this should be an occasional indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Olá, amiga!
    Passei para rever as delícias do seu cantinho...
    Aqui é tudo de bom!
    Espero sua visitinha:
    magiadaines.blogspot.com
    Boa semana!
    Beijinhos.
    Itabira - Brasil

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Ash(a), I'm not sure you prefer ash, asha or asha latha. Please,let me know..I loved reading ur post. They always make me smile. LOve the term "Delicacy in-law". Ur Mutton Rassa is absolutely gorgeous and inviting. Ur presentation is suberb . Your step by step instructions make it so easy..Did I mention ,its my favorite too. My Mom would make it every sunday..THis dish made me nostalgic..Also b4 i forget CONGRATULATIONS on ur awrads ..U deserve them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Portuguese to English translation

    Magic Ines said:

    Hello, friend!
    I went to review the delights of their little corner ...
    Here's all good!
    I hope your little visit:
    magiadaines.blogspot.com
    Good week!
    Hi.
    Itabira - Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aloha Ash,I think your recipes look divine, thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your kind words...we are sisters in the world of food and Family i look forward to getting to know more of your culture. I have a great Grandmother 4 generations back that was from Bombay India and married a British soldier in Bombay, they lived in Poona and then migrated to the United States around 1845 or so, I have a fan of hers from her pioneer journey crossing the plains to the state of Utah .I love family History and so it is exciting to get to know the food and the culture.,.thanks for sharing
    QueenB

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Dea..!!
    Hope you had wonderful holidays...
    Mutton gravy looks fabulously yummy..Ooh i m hungry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aloha Ash,I love your divine dishes and thank you for dropping by my blog and sharing your kind words. I see that we are sisters in FOOD AND FAMILY...I believe it is what binds the generations together with memories that come to mind through a scent or a flavor.I have a Great Grandmother 4 generations back that was from Bombay India and also lived in Poona before migrating to the US with her British soldier husband from Scotland. She was a true pioneer and I am grateful to have her Family History.I am excited to get to know your culture and cuisine that belongs as a part of me too. Wishing you Best Dishes
    Queen B (Brandi)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow........lovely mutton rassa dear...it's tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my my...thats really tempting:) Love mutton curry:) I liked the salad picture too, looks wonderful:)

    Happy Holidays...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Un plat plein de saveurs qui me plait beaucoup.
    See soon and happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. French to English translation of the above comment....

    Gourmet and Delicacies said ...

    A dish full of flavors that I like very much.
    See soon and happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mutton Curry. Mutton Pulao...Ah the curry is Just DELICIOUS looking...one of the best recipes hopped so far ash!..
    Have a fantastic year ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this recipe, rich in spices and spicy! Happy New Year! Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey asha
    I tried ur machali bath this weekend,it tasted good the first day and fabulous the next day..Will definitely make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amiga,

    ...que a fé e a esperança num mundo melhor sejam revividas a cada dia em seu coração!
    Feliz 2010!!!

    Beijinhos.
    Itabira - Brasil

    ReplyDelete
  25. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    I like diese very much:))Smile!!!! / http://mi6el.blogspot.com/ - my new blog :)))))))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Portuguese to English translation

    Magic Ines said:

    Amiga

    ... that faith and hope in a better world are revived every day in your heart!
    Happy 2010!

    Hi.
    Itabira - Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  27. delicious visuals.will try out soon

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow,looks Awesome,Will try soon.Wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous New Year dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy New Year I will offer my best wishes for happiness and success

    ReplyDelete
  30. hey asha..I just loved your blog. Specially the look of ur blog. Loved the illustrative posts. The butterflies complete the look. amazing...

    ReplyDelete

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin