Pages

Monday, March 2, 2009

Bihari Kichdi




As I have married a Bihari, I have the "PLEASURES" of both the "WORLDS" - Bihar & that of Mangalore. It's really wonderful as I have more choice of food. There are many such Bihari preparations that my parents & brother love & relish. Well I've learn t them from my hubby Kuku & my Ma-in-Law. Mangalore dishes from my Amma ofcourse.

I would like to share a basic kichdi prepared @ Ranchi
in Ma-in Law's place only on Saturdays . According to their belief, it helps to ward off the evils of shani gruha. Hence I see to it that the schedule of my visit, to my in laws place, includes a saturday to relish the tasty kichdi my Ma prepares. ;-)

Ingredients:

Rice - 1/2 cup
Tuar Dal
Masoor Dal} - 1/2 cup
***I store a mix of both the dals - can be prepared with just Tuar too***
Green Chillies - 2
Onion - 1 chopped
fresh Green Peas - 1tbsp
Carrots - 1 diced
Round Beans - 5-6 chopped
Cumin Seeds (Jeera) - 1tsp
Bay Leaves - 2
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Salt to Taste
Oil/Ghee - 1tbsp
Water - 4-5 cups
Method:

Wash the rice & dal together & keep aside. Heat the cooker on medium flame. Add oil or ghee. Now add the jeera & the bay leaf. After it splutters, add slit green chillies & chopped onions. Once the onion turns light brown add the ginger garlic paste & fry for a min or two. Then add the cut vegetables & peas & fry for 2-3 mins. Now add the washed rice & dal & fry for 2 mins. Add turmeric powder & salt & stir fry. Now add water, lock the lid & let the whistle blow for 5-6 mins. Once the steam is let off completely just add a dab of ghee to the preparation. It would smell good & taste DIVINE!

Note: In Bihar they say "Kichdi ke chaar yaar - chokha (mashed aloo tempered with chopped garlic, jeera & broken dry red chilli) , dahi, papad aur achaar". Savour the kichdi with all these side dishes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin