Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

KARELA BHOONJIYA (Bittergourd Fry, Aagalkai Dry)

As soon as I heard of bitter gourd(ಆಗಲಕಾಯಿ, करेला) being prepared in the kitchen, during childhood, I sulked. The very name got me feeling bitter throughout. Always thought, "how would I be able to complete the formality of lunch, that day.... I had no means to escape"... I wished somebody invited me to their place for a birthday lunch or even a casual lunch...I wished I was held up for some extra curricular activity after school.... but that also meant my share would be kept aside for my dinner...with love.... Either ways I would end up 'bitter'.

My mom used jaggery in the preparation, just for us....to make the bitter, better for us....Still all that I felt was only bitter....As I grew up I stopped running away from it, but just emptied my share as a formality to good health...but I did not like it with jaggery....Even now I do not like jaggery being used in preparing the aagalkai. Now as an adult, I still do not relish it, but don mind having it once in a while...

Now I like what my mom prepares, the same way as earlier but only minus the jaggery...So it's good....I would post that later...

After marriage, when I was with Maa in-law, I tasted her karela dry fry. And I liked it....(not relish!!!) It tasted less bitter. And since then I prepare this with ease...as it's simple & just takes some minutes of your time.....

Ingredients:

Bitter gourd - 2, a li'l tender
Onion - 1, big sliced
Dry Red Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to Taste
Mustard Oil - 2 tbsp

Method:

Cut the washed karela into thin & round slices. Soak them in water & keep aside... Heat oil in a wok or thick bottomed vessel. Once the oil is smoking hot, add the broken dry chilli & then add the onions.

Drain the water from the soaked karela. Once the onions are translucent, add the karela slices & stir. Now add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder & salt. Stir fry on high flame, till the bitter gourd gets fried.

karela fry



karela fry



As the size & texture,reduces & softens respectively, reduce the flame & cook it covered, stirring at regular intervals. Remove from flame once done....

karela fry



Serve it hot with rice & simple plain dal & relish!!!!!!!!

And yes, last but not the least.... I would like to thank savvystudios4u.com, for the new look on my header & sidebar..... THANKS!!!!!!


10 comments:

  1. Healthy fry recipe. Looks so good. Nice way to eat karela....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog. You are so creative. Best Regards..Kathy @ The Garden Cat Cottage and Texas Tipsy Cakes . blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice click.....dish looks easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures of some great looking gourds. I could be almost tempted to try it myself:)

    Feel free to use the photos of the pets. I'm not sure where Skeeter got them but I think they might be on public domain so no problem.

    Have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks very delicious and tempting and mouthwatering.Can I come over for lunch and have these nice karela sabzi?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pic,so simple and delicious...i always have fried bittergourd, never tried it out this way...will surely try this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. first time here n must say you have a nice blog Asha!!
    i liked the name of your blog and i find many UP recipes here...good to see...i love this karela bhujia but my husband hates this..

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like bittergourd made jus like u..pls collect the awards from my blog dear

    ReplyDelete

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin